Skip to main content

Culturally centering diverse traditions of argumentation

Anchored in the culture-centered approach (CCA), which I have championed as a framework for amplifying marginalized voices and knowledges against colonial and hegemonic structures, the convergences between the Māori argumentation tradition and the diverse Indian argumentation traditions—Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, Adivasi, and Dalit—reveal a shared commitment to relationality and resistance. 

Māori whaikōrero, the eloquent oratory of the marae invoking ancestors and environmental ties, finds resonance with Indian traditions of dialogical exchange, all of which reject adversarial Western debate in favor of collective meaning-making rooted in cultural and communal contexts.

The Māori practice of whakawhanaungatanga (building relationships through dialogue) aligns with Hindu nyāya and Buddhist vāda, where argumentation, as seen in the Nyāya Sūtras or Pali Canon debates, seeks harmony and contextual truth rather than domination, mirroring CCA’s emphasis on subaltern epistemologies as decolonizing forces. 
Similarly, the Muslim munāẓarah tradition of Indo-Islamic scholarship, with its ethical persuasion and communal adjudication, parallels Māori pepeha (tribal sayings), both serving social justice and moral balance, aligning with CCA’s focus on structural equity through dialogue.
Adivasi traditions, such as the Gondi sabha or Santhal oral disputations, integrate ecological wisdom and elder-led consensus, much like Māori hui (gatherings), fostering participatory deliberation that resists extractive modernity. 
Dalit argumentation traditions, exemplified by the rhetorical strategies of leaders like Dr. B.R. Ambedkar or the oral protest narratives of Dalit communities, further converge with Māori practices through their subversive use of storytelling, poetry, and public assemblies to challenge caste oppression and colonial legacies, embodying CCA’s principle of agency through communicative resistance.
Across these traditions—Māori, Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, Adivasi, and Dalit—argumentation emerges as a transformative practice of solidarity, grounded in relational ontologies and cultural specificity, which, through a CCA lens, counters Eurocentric models by prioritizing collective survival, structural justice, and decolonized communication ecologies.

Popular posts from this blog

The Haka, the Hurt, and the Work We Owe

  The Haka, the Hurt, and the Work We Owe An Indian in Aotearoa reflects on resistance, complicity, and the solidarities we have yet to build Mohan Jyoti Dutta I watched the haka. I watched it several times, in fact. Each time, I tried to sit with what I was feeling before reaching for what I was supposed to think. Let me be honest about who I am in this conversation, because that matters. I am an upper caste, upwardly mobile Indian man. I am a professor at a university in Aotearoa. I carry the accumulated privileges of Brahminical socialisation, of English-medium education, of institutional access that was never designed for the communities I now write about and alongside. I say this not as confession but as orientation — because where you stand shapes what you see, and I have learned, through years of working with communities at the margins, that the refusal to name your own location is itself a colonial habit. The haka directed at Parmjeet Parmar did not offend me. It ...

The Suit Walks the Corridor

  The Suit Walks the Corridor At ten past nine on a Monday the corridor on the top floor of the administration building fills with the sound of expensive shoes. The carpet up here was laid in the last refurbishment and still gives slightly underfoot, the way a good hotel lobby does, and the doors along it close with the soft, well-engineered thud of a German car. Along this carpet, in the direction of the lift marked Executive, comes the suit. It comes in navy and in charcoal, in the odd daring pinstripe, in the female version too, a tailored jacket over a silk shell, and heels that announce themselves on the tile of the lift lobby a full three seconds before the person arrives. The suit carries a flat white from the good cafe, the one that closed the student cafe to open, and a lanyard that swings with the confidence of a thing that opens doors. The suit passes the framed founding professors, who were photographed in gowns and look, at this distance, like a row of disapproving pe...

Whiteness, NCA, and Distinguished Scholars

In a post made in response to the changes to how my discipline operates made by the Executive Committee of the largest organization of the discipline, the National Communication Association (NCA), one of the editors of a disciplinary journal Rhetoric and Public Affairs (RPA), Professor Martin J. Medhurst, a Distinguished Scholar of the discipline, calls out what he sees as the threat of identity (see below for his full piece published in the journal that he has edited for 20+ years, with 2019 SJR score of 0.27). In what he notes is a threat to the "scholarly merit" of the discipline, Professor Medhurst sets up a caricature of what he calls "identity." In his rhetorical construction of the struggles the NCA has faced over the years to find Distinguished Scholars of colour, he shares with us the facts. So let's look at the facts presented by this rhetor. It turns out, as a member of the Distinguished Scholar community of the NCA, Mr. Medhurst has problems with w...