Skip to main content

In response to first food insecurity project training session

Walking away from the first focus group and training session, I was especially surprised by the ways in which, through means of our brief 2 hours session, the attendees had begun to build a sense of camaraderie. Immediately upon entering the room, one participant recognized another from receiving services at the food pantry. Spawning from their acquaintanceship, a number of participants then began to share advice about receiving services, such as what pantries were open at particular times and locations. Others ended the evening by offering a ride home to an attendee that had missed the bus. I have written in my project journal about an emerging theme of selflessness and gratitude in my interviews, and being witness to such acts verifies my prior assertions. Particularly, a common critique relates to the ability of the food assistance system to provide enough quality food to all patrons in need. Getting access to food is a personalized need, basic to one’s survival. Despite the personal nature of this critique (I need food, they don’t have enough food for me), many individuals discuss situations where they believe that others are in more dire need of food than themselves (children, elderly who cannot visit food pantries or kitchens). This shifts the experience of needing food away from the individual. In sharing one’s experience about accessing food, a communicative tension is crafted between such services relieving a personal need verses a collective need. In the context of the focus group session, while individuals were ultimately in attendance to receive personal monetary compensation, the act of being together as a collective spawned the forming of a community where selfless acts of sharing information and services was of primary interest.

Ultimately, I was overwhelmed with excitement (and some preparation anxiety) for what was to come of our project. The conversions about barriers of access were disheartening at minimum, but they did provide an excellent amount of empirical justification for our claims through means of dynamic, evolving group consensus. It was outstanding to see what group synergy really looks like at play! There were numerous times where individuals were talking over one another, and while some would stand, others would shout in agreement. There was little shared in relation to suggestions for the project’s direction, which was a bit disappointing, but the conversations did shed light on the most mutually meaningful definitions of the food insecurity problems in this community as articulated by actual voices of food insecure. Vocalizing their problems as part of the training workshop seemed to give a sense of personal legitimacy to what these individuals were experiencing. It left no questions in my mind regarding the communicative potential that a group of passionate individuals could have once brought together as a collective. And, it was especially moving to see the foundations of culture-centered work at play in a real project.

Popular posts from this blog

The Haka, the Hurt, and the Work We Owe

  The Haka, the Hurt, and the Work We Owe An Indian in Aotearoa reflects on resistance, complicity, and the solidarities we have yet to build Mohan Jyoti Dutta I watched the haka. I watched it several times, in fact. Each time, I tried to sit with what I was feeling before reaching for what I was supposed to think. Let me be honest about who I am in this conversation, because that matters. I am an upper caste, upwardly mobile Indian man. I am a professor at a university in Aotearoa. I carry the accumulated privileges of Brahminical socialisation, of English-medium education, of institutional access that was never designed for the communities I now write about and alongside. I say this not as confession but as orientation — because where you stand shapes what you see, and I have learned, through years of working with communities at the margins, that the refusal to name your own location is itself a colonial habit. The haka directed at Parmjeet Parmar did not offend me. It ...

The Suit Walks the Corridor

  The Suit Walks the Corridor At ten past nine on a Monday the corridor on the top floor of the administration building fills with the sound of expensive shoes. The carpet up here was laid in the last refurbishment and still gives slightly underfoot, the way a good hotel lobby does, and the doors along it close with the soft, well-engineered thud of a German car. Along this carpet, in the direction of the lift marked Executive, comes the suit. It comes in navy and in charcoal, in the odd daring pinstripe, in the female version too, a tailored jacket over a silk shell, and heels that announce themselves on the tile of the lift lobby a full three seconds before the person arrives. The suit carries a flat white from the good cafe, the one that closed the student cafe to open, and a lanyard that swings with the confidence of a thing that opens doors. The suit passes the framed founding professors, who were photographed in gowns and look, at this distance, like a row of disapproving pe...

Whiteness, NCA, and Distinguished Scholars

In a post made in response to the changes to how my discipline operates made by the Executive Committee of the largest organization of the discipline, the National Communication Association (NCA), one of the editors of a disciplinary journal Rhetoric and Public Affairs (RPA), Professor Martin J. Medhurst, a Distinguished Scholar of the discipline, calls out what he sees as the threat of identity (see below for his full piece published in the journal that he has edited for 20+ years, with 2019 SJR score of 0.27). In what he notes is a threat to the "scholarly merit" of the discipline, Professor Medhurst sets up a caricature of what he calls "identity." In his rhetorical construction of the struggles the NCA has faced over the years to find Distinguished Scholars of colour, he shares with us the facts. So let's look at the facts presented by this rhetor. It turns out, as a member of the Distinguished Scholar community of the NCA, Mr. Medhurst has problems with w...