Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Queries surrounding the Culture-centered approach

1) In the chapter 1 of Communicating Social Change, Dutta (2011) cites Ganesh et al. as emphasizing “the relevance of working with resistance movements in challenging the dominant discourses of neoliberalism, engaging with the discursive processes through which organizing gets constituted, developing new forms of organizing globalization from below that offer new ways of challenging the neoliberal structures” (p. 52-53). My question is, through what practical communication strategies can the dominant discourse of something as globally-pervasive as neoliberalism be effectively challenged? More importantly, how does one ensure that the success of a certain resistive movement is not simply local, but that it is has brought about a major structural change that will have positive effects elsewhere as well?

2) How does an activist or a researcher – as an outsider and someone who’s a product of the dominant structures – gain entry into and win the confidence of members of a marginalized community – especially one that has been abused and exploited – to the extent that they open up to the activist or researcher?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sρouse аnԁ Ι stumblеd οveг heгe ԁіfferent pаge anԁ thought I may аs wеll checκ thingѕ
out. I liκe what I see so nοω i'm following you. Look forward to looking into your web page repeatedly.

my page feuerwehr-hilbringen.de

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed, I have to admit. Seldom do I come across a blog that's both educative and interesting, and let
me tell you, you've hit the nail on the head. The problem is something not enough folks are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I came across this in my search for something concerning this.

my webpage: individual reputation management

Anonymous said...

What's up every one, here every person is sharing these knowledge, thus it's pleasant to rеаԁ this weblog, anԁ І used to viѕіt thіs ωeblоg all the tіme.



My weblog reputation management

Anonymous said...

Greetings! Very useful advice within this post! It's the little changes that produce the greatest changes. Many thanks for sharing!

my blog post - fantazia