Skip to main content

The influence of one's roots in the arena of an interview

Reading Carol Warren’s chapter on Qualitative Research brought back to mind a comment a senior colleague once made to me when I was a journalist in California. Speaking about feature stories – personality profiles, in particular – he pointed out how interviews often revealed that people rarely overcame their roots, their childhood experiences, their pasts, no matter how far they went in life. I recall, we agreed unanimously that people’s roots indeed had the greatest influence on their worldview and their philosophy in life. At that time, though, it never crossed my mind, to what extent my own roots could be coloring what I heard in the numerous interviews I did throughout the day as a reporter. Being the “objective” journalist – that I presumed I was – I was oblivious of the fact that the discursive space of an interview was an arena where both my interviewee and I were engaging actively and simultaneously in the act of meaning-making; and that I, as the interviewer, was participating in the interview “from historically grounded biographical as well as disciplinary perspectives.”

But recently, while interviewing employees at Food Finders in Lafayette, I realized the truth behind Rubin’s statement as cited by Warren that “no matter how far we travel, we can never leave our roots behind. I found they claimed me at unexpected times, in unexpected places.”

In my case, as I listened to employees at Food Finders discuss the issue of hunger and food insecurity in Tippecanoe county, I found myself thinking about the food insecure back home in India – children and teenagers who came fresh from villages to big cities like my native Calcutta to do domestic chores so they could be assured of three meals a day; beggars on the streets, who we ignored thinking begging was their profession.

As I listened to workers at Food Finders articulate their zeal to help the hungry, I wondered what it would be like if we had non-profits such as Food Finders in Calcutta, with their mobile food pantries and warehouses where companies could donate food. I also remember thinking how great a task it would be to cater to all the poor in a metropolis as huge as Calcutta.

As the interviews went on, I also realized how, over the years, I had actually become a lot more sympathetic and aware of the needy than I was in urban India, amidst the financial security of the upper-middle class. Over the past eight years – first as a new international student in Nevada, then a modestly-paid reporter in over-priced California and now a married graduate student in Indiana -- I’m a lot more acquainted with financial stress and what it means to struggle to make ends meet. And although the woes of those that Food Finders caters are a thousand times graver than mine, I could perceive the agony of the food insecure through the lens of my own experiences with financial hardships.

So when I read Warren talking about the intersections between the meanings constructed by the interviewee with the lived experiences of the interviewer, I could at once see what she’s saying. After all, during my interviews at Food Finders, I had often encountered such intersections and paused to introspect at those crossroads.

Popular posts from this blog

Whiteness, NCA, and Distinguished Scholars

In a post made in response to the changes to how my discipline operates made by the Executive Committee of the largest organization of the discipline, the National Communication Association (NCA), one of the editors of a disciplinary journal Rhetoric and Public Affairs (RPA), Professor Martin J. Medhurst, a Distinguished Scholar of the discipline, calls out what he sees as the threat of identity (see below for his full piece published in the journal that he has edited for 20+ years, with 2019 SJR score of 0.27). In what he notes is a threat to the "scholarly merit" of the discipline, Professor Medhurst sets up a caricature of what he calls "identity." In his rhetorical construction of the struggles the NCA has faced over the years to find Distinguished Scholars of colour, he shares with us the facts. So let's look at the facts presented by this rhetor. It turns out, as a member of the Distinguished Scholar community of the NCA, Mr. Medhurst has problems wit

Zionist hate mongering, the race/terror trope, and the Free Speech Union: Part 1

March 15, 2019. It was a day of terror. Unleashed by a white supremacist far-right terrorist. Driven by hate for brown people. Driven by Islamophobic hate. Earlier in the day, I had come across a hate-based hit piece targeting me, alongside other academics, the University of Auckland academic Professor Nicholas Rowe , Professor Richard Jackson at Otago University, Professor Kevin P Clements at Otago University, Dr. Rose Martin from University of Auckland and Dr. Nigel Parsons at Massey University.  Titled, "More extremists in New Zealand Universities," the article threw in the labels "terror sympathisers" and "extremist views." Written by one David Cumin and hosted on the website of the Israel Institute of New Zealand, the article sought to create outrage that academics critical of Israeli settler colonialism and apartheid are actually employed by universities in New Zealand. Figure 1: The web post written by David Cumin on the site of Israel Institute

Tova O’Brien and pedagogy of whiteness

So Tova O’Brien was looking for a click-bait opportunity to draw in listeners to her podcast and she found the migrant activist and Green Party politician Dr. Sapna Samant to pick on. In a gotcha moment, Tova shared with the Green Party co-leader James Shaw a series of posts made by Dr. Samant on whiteness, Hindutva, and multiculturalism, asking him if the tweets were OK. We don’t understand from listening to O’Brien’s podcast if her research team actively researched Dr. Sapna Samant’s social media posts, or whether these selective screen captures of Dr. Samant’s tweets were sent to her by someone wanting to target Samant. The thoroughly unresearched piece is poor journalism, reflective of the mediocrity that is perpetuated by whiteness , the hegemonic values of the dominant white culture in settler colonies. If indeed her research team had discovered the tweets, it’s worth interrogating why the social media posts of a migrant woman activist on whiteness are of interest to O’Brien’s po