Skip to main content

A Revelation. An Orthogonal Model. And A Lot of Emotion.

There are three things I want to share regarding this week’s reading and fieldwork. I apologize for the length, but since I can't be in class, I figured I just speak my mind here...

ONE: “… a dominant paradigm is located within a meaning community – the community of scholars and practitioners who have come to define what it means to theorize and practice within the discipline” (Dutta, p. 46). What struck me with this statement, and with those that followed it, was the whole idea of meaning, tools, and the universal criteria used by the dominant paradigm in health communication. In many ways, they represent a conditioned approach, one that is well practiced. It is the norm; it is the most logical; it makes sense; it works; and it is dependable. What made me begin to mull this over and think about this so carefully was because, as I sat at home reading this, my five-year-old daughter sat next to me, playing a matching game on the computer. As she uncovered the hidden animals, a voice with an English accent would state the name. “Rhino.” “Robin.” Each time the voice stated the name, my daughter would repeat it out loud… in a perfect English accent. As I heard her do this a few times, I wondered how I would have repeated the word. Of course, I would have said the animal name, but it would not have occurred to me in the slightest to incorporate the accent. Therefore, in carrying this shared word to a new recipient, I would have lost part of its meaning (not in what the animal is, but the source from which it came). Plus, if I had tried to include the accent, it wouldn’t have come out right, it wouldn’t have sounded natural. Turn this back to the dominant paradigm (yes, I know, I loose connection), but such an observation in a matching game helped me to consider one of the ways in which the dominant paradigm can easily look past certain components of meaning in order to gather the most “pertinent” pieces of the social issue.

TWO: The orthogonal model that categorically explains the approaches to the study of culture offered a very different way to understanding very prominent research paradigms. So often I’ve broken down approaches from simply the methodological approach, or the creative theoretical framework applied to the research questions or hypotheses. But this model actually allowed me to see specifically where my current research project fits… in the culture as a barrier (cultural sensitivity) quadrant. Of course, I realize that this book is a proponent of CCA, by which I’m very much intrigued. Therefore, other approaches are going to be a little less desirable. But, it does make me consider the weaknesses that exist in our approach: (1) We’re looking for stable characteristics on which to stake a claim and develop targeted messages; and (2) we’re not necessarily bent on trying to identify cultural inconsistencies that may exist.

THREE: Yesterday three of us went to the mobile pantry and volunteered. Obviously this was the time where we were able to actually interact with the individuals and families who were there to partake in the available food. This was an eye-opener for me to see the magnitude and impact of what the mobile pantry can do. I was charged with asking a few survey questions with each individual moving through the line. These questions were for the Food Pantry to use in their grant writing. There were three simple questions (which we, as students, later severely critiqued…):

  1. Do you have access to enough food to feed the members of your household on a regular basis? Always, often, rarely, never?
  2. How do you provide food for your family? Food Pantry, Mobile Pantry, Food Stamps, Grocery Store, Soup Kitchen, or a combination of these?
  3. How much does the mobile pantry help your family? Does it add to your food supply? Would you have to skip a meal(s) if you didn’t have access to it? Do you still have to skip meals even with the mobile pantry?

Three basic questions… but wrought with emotion and a stark reminder of why they werethere. All were very willing participants as I engaged them in a discussion to answer these questions. Some, though, shared with me stories of why they are there for the first time; others revealed circumstances of their life and how thankful they are for the resources such as this pantry; and others, still, began to tear up, answering the questions very quietly and briefly. The moment I saw pain and shame in some of the faces, I found it difficult to move through the three simple questions. To me, it reminded me of what I really thought of these questions, and I often found myself struggling to not tear up with them. I was there to help, and be a positive light in their day. But, in the end, I think the tables were turned.

Popular posts from this blog

Zionist hate mongering, the race/terror trope, and the Free Speech Union: Part 1

March 15, 2019. It was a day of terror. Unleashed by a white supremacist far-right terrorist. Driven by hate for brown people. Driven by Islamophobic hate. Earlier in the day, I had come across a hate-based hit piece targeting me, alongside other academics, the University of Auckland academic Professor Nicholas Rowe , Professor Richard Jackson at Otago University, Professor Kevin P Clements at Otago University, Dr. Rose Martin from University of Auckland and Dr. Nigel Parsons at Massey University.  Titled, "More extremists in New Zealand Universities," the article threw in the labels "terror sympathisers" and "extremist views." Written by one David Cumin and hosted on the website of the Israel Institute of New Zealand, the article sought to create outrage that academics critical of Israeli settler colonialism and apartheid are actually employed by universities in New Zealand. Figure 1: The web post written by David Cumin on the site of Israel Institute

Whiteness, NCA, and Distinguished Scholars

In a post made in response to the changes to how my discipline operates made by the Executive Committee of the largest organization of the discipline, the National Communication Association (NCA), one of the editors of a disciplinary journal Rhetoric and Public Affairs (RPA), Professor Martin J. Medhurst, a Distinguished Scholar of the discipline, calls out what he sees as the threat of identity (see below for his full piece published in the journal that he has edited for 20+ years, with 2019 SJR score of 0.27). In what he notes is a threat to the "scholarly merit" of the discipline, Professor Medhurst sets up a caricature of what he calls "identity." In his rhetorical construction of the struggles the NCA has faced over the years to find Distinguished Scholars of colour, he shares with us the facts. So let's look at the facts presented by this rhetor. It turns out, as a member of the Distinguished Scholar community of the NCA, Mr. Medhurst has problems wit

Disinformation, Zionist propaganda, and free speech: Far right cancel culture

Thursday October 12, 2023. The settler colonial occupation had unleashed its infrastructure of violence over the Palestinian people over a period of five days. Gaza was being indiscriminately bombarded, with mass civilian casualties that Amnesty International noted " must be investigated as war crimes ." At 3:32 p.m., my office phone rang. I was occupied and the call went to the voicemail. "Dutta, you are a murderous, f***ing, racist c***. Go back to where you belong...I will see to your termination in New Zealand." A couple of hours before that, an email had gone out from the Zionist Dane Giraud to the email listserv of the Free Speech Union, performed as a supposed apology for attacking my academic freedom. In the email, Giraud referred to my earlier b log post on the interlinkages between far-right Zionism, attacks on academic freedom, and the free speech union, noting how he had been enraged by the following statement on my blog: "I was therefore not surpri